Welcome and Please Come Join Us!
The New Jersey Health Literacy Coalition (NJHLC) is excited to present a full-day Health Literacy Summit September 21, 2012, Advancing Health Literacy Solutions: The Power in Community Partnerships.
Join professionals from a wide range of backgrounds as leaders in the field of health literacy share best practices, success stories, and innovative ideas. Expand your knowledge and acquire strategies for effectively communicating health information that you can use immediately.
NJHLC has structured the Summit to focus on the power of partnerships in implementing health literacy solutions and best practices – we can’t do it alone. This unique professional development opportunity will bring together diverse stakeholders including:
- Clinical professionals, such as nurses, physicians, dentists, social workers, and other practitioners
- Community-based health educators
- Non-profit health and human service staff
- Health plan and insurance staff
- Hospital system administrators
- Pharmaceutical company representatives
- Adult literacy program staff
- New Jersey governmental agencies, including NJ Dept. Health and Senior Services
- Academic professionals and students
- Policy makers
The goal of the Summit is to present initiatives and solutions that will improve communication between providers and patients, and equip attendees with information and skill sets to better serve their clients. The critical importance of health literacy as it relates to increased access to health care, improved health care quality and outcomes, and reduced health care costs will be emphasized.
At the end of the Summit attendees will be able to:
- Understand the practical meaning of health literacy and how it impacts patients, providers, consumers, and others across the health spectrum.
- Identify best practices that can be used to improve communication between healthcare professionals and systems and the diverse communities they serve.
- Evaluate components of their patient and provider communication practices related to health literacy to determine how learned solutions are appropriate.
- Demonstrate the application of a learned skill that is relevant to their organization or client and patient population.
CEUs and contact hours will be offered. Specific information to follow.